Saturday, November 12, 2011

call me kind...

or call me thoughtful, or helpful.
I aspire to this every day, every moment.
Sometimes it is easy, sometimes not.

When my son was first born...
I wished for him that his life would be
seasoned with kindness.
And as he got older,
I expected that he would be helpful without judgement.

So each day, I try.  If there is a door to be opened in some one's life, or a kind word that may be meaningful, or a "thanks" that may be unexpected....I try to offer my kindness.  In small ways, without expectations, kindness can make a difference -- I know it has in my own living.  But it isn't always easy -- I once worked at a Food Pantry, helping to organize & get food out to those that needed it that day -- another volunteer turned to me in line & with a smile shared these unexpected words regarding someone at the pantry that day, "you should see the car they drive -- they don't need this food".  My heart just hurt in that moment -- makes me cry to this day.  But I do understand, kindness is hard, helping without judgement is hard...because it is an act of selflessness.  And I also can attest to the fact that I am no Mother Teresa -- I do have a German gene coursing through by blood that can get out and out feisty or defiant at the smallest indication of, shall we call it, yucky behavior.  But in the end, I would like to be remembered as both -- strong & kind.  An advocate & a helper.  Someone who might call you out or reach out a hand. 

So -- here is my list of what I know I can do:
  1. Help those in need....bird food in the winter filled daily, a dollar or two given to the bell ringer, a "here let me help..." offered without expectation.  If you are a parent, model this for your children...cause in the end they do what we do, not just what we say. 
  2. Offer kindness...sometimes it is a smile, a word at just that moment....those unnoticed, no thanks needed, times when we show that this is indeed our own "better angel".
Call me kind -- most of the time
(and that is far better than none of the time).

2 comments:

Kari from Meadowview Farm said...

I am lucky to fill my world with some of the nicest, kindest people one could ever be blessed to know. But I so want to recognize that this often is "the path less taken" --- and yet it can make all the difference.
Kari

Cheryl in Wisconsin said...

Amen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...