Saturday, January 5, 2019

round & round




My mom gave me this, her wedding band.  It has been home on my right hand for over 20 years.  I love the detail, the modern choice of this independent woman from years ago. She had tucked it away in the jewelry box I often organized for her after she & my dad divorced.  I have loved it always, and had it fitted to wear when my mom passed on.  It has traveled with me from year to year, a reminder of the love that was a part of the choice.  It has been there when my hand has tended to the rebirth of this old farm - painting, pulling weeds and giving a goat a tussle on the head.  It has been there to encourage my Ian onward - applauding his hockey & soccer days, waving him on to Washington, sneaking a ring box to him on the Memorial Union Terrace as he prepared to ask his Emma for her "ever after".  It has been there through hard times - holding my sister's hand this past November as I talked with her in her final hour, pushing back & holding firm through life's waves.  And it has been there through joy - lifting up a brand new kitten born in our barn, readying a hayloft for a wedding, reaching out to my Dave at one more flea market or antique trip.  Round & Round & Round. 


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...