Monday, July 26, 2010

The question about goats...

If I had a dollar for every time someone has wondered about why we have goats...well, needless to say - the goat bridges arriving Friday would be paid for!

So, today, I am home -- in need of a day to feel better -- and I just walked out to the barn for a smile.

This is my little Ralphie. 
He was one of the twins that arrived last fall.  His horns are new, grown over his first winter.  He sometimes gets picked on by the older goats -- but what Ralphie has taught me is to get up, brush yourself off -- and try again.  He is joyful and resilient & runs to me when I call for him.  Grape leaves and strawberries make his day. Many times, he makes my day. 


The answer to the question -- because, just because.

7 comments:

Artful Gathering said...

I completely understand....... just because.....
I get the same question regarding my sheep and llamas....
Sometimes you want things for no reason at all... just because.... People don't understand this kind of thinking.... Just because.....
They can make you happy, they make you smile, They love you when no one else will, they appreciate you when no one else does,etc.... the just because list can go on and on and on...... Just because is a great answer... I am going to use it from now on when people ask me this question????????????? Thanks
I hope you feel better.... sometimes one just needs a day to rest.. with this heat it makes one feel yicky... be well...

Jani said...

Kari,
.... I get it..... and I feel bad for people who don't. There's a big empty hole in their lives somewhere that we have filled with furry, warm critters.
Jani

Cheryl in Wisconsin said...

I love goats! I live in town with a tiny yard so they're out of the picture for me, but I have jokingly "threatened" to grow grass on the roof of my garage and build them a stairway up to it so that I could accomodate a couple of them (just like Al Johnson's Restaurant in Sister Bay). I wish! Ralphie looks like a hoot.

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Oh I totally get it too :) I live in southern Italy, where goats are raised for meat and milk, and that's it, so people *really* don't get why I'd just want them to pet and love...but what do I care? Gotta love the goaties <3

P.S. Mine are at Goat Berries :)

Kari from Meadowview Farm said...

Oh kindred spirits. My thanks for getting why "just because" is enough.
Kari

Kudzu said...

such a sweetie :D
kudzu

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! My lil Sammie does the same for me, now don't get me wrong his two sisters can hold their own case also...if you know what I mean?.....ha ha!

They are all so great and your Ralphie is SO cute!

My kids horns are growing as well, they will soon be five months!

Enjoy!

Love your blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...