Thursday, March 29, 2012

Ralphie to the rescue

Today was one of "those days"....totally too full of the unplanned, unexpected & the unwanted. Too much of a day, too much. All that was on my mind coming home was to escape from it all, to just get away. So, as I walked out to the barn to feed the animals with the day on my mind, I watch my too full of life goat, Ralphie, push his way through the smallest of openings in the pasture gate and out & free he is there to greet me. He is as surprised as I am with this unplanned escape. I hold my hand out to attempt to coax him back into the fenced area, he begins to follow but stops with this awareness of this new grass he walks on, this realization that he is in a place he has only looked at through a fence. I try to grab his horn to pull him back in...doesn't work. So, not knowing exactly how to get this big goat back into the pasture, and feeling just a tad defeated, I just throw open the gate and walk into the pasture...and he follows me. I guess sometimes you just have to give in to the unplanned & unexpected. Sometimes we need a little reminder that grass is green on both sides of the fence.

5 comments:

Jani said...

This may seem like a silly question since I've never raised a goat... but couldn't Ralphie wear a big ole leather dog collar to help you coax him back in when he's feeling adventurous? We all need to step outside the gate once in awhile.
Jani

MEM said...

What a cute story---from one who didn't have to chase the goat! Just like the dog who escapes thru an open door and down the road to a new adventure. Maybe a little bit of escapism is good for all living creatures.......

Kari from Meadowview Farm said...

I know there is always something we learn from the animals in our lives. Ralphie reminded me that sometimes you just have to throw your arms up into the air and give in to what is beyond our control...and sometimes in so doing, it is all O.K. again.
Kari

Barb said...

I've had goats...goats don't like collars or being led. We tug forward a little and they practically knock us off our feet pulling back.

There was a day several years back when my husband was in Canada. I had had a very full day and was exhausted. I did chores and then sat down to do some sort of relaxing activity. I heard an unusual noise and looked out the window to see two sheep, two goats and one llama eating the green grass next to the garage OUTSIDE of their pen. What was I to do? I was all alone and there was NO WAY I was going to coax 5 animals on fresh grass and clover back into the paddock. I went out the back door, put my hands on my hips and hollered with as much authority as I could muster, "Just what do you think you're doing?!?!?!?" They all jumped at the sound of my voice (they knew they were being naughty), turned and all ran back into the paddock. I ran out, closed the gate and THIS time made sure to lock it. I was never so relieved in my life!

Kari from Meadowview Farm said...

Oh Barb....the first goats in my mini-herd arrived several years ago to our "thought to be goat-proofed" pasture. After I thought I had them tucked in, I looked out to see both in the driveway ....likely right where the goatman's truck had last been seen. They appeared to have suitcases in hand
with a, "nice to visit" look. I, too, was home alone, I chased them around the potting shed, finally cornering them near the barn until Dave got home to help. I learned that a maternal manner (sometimes stern) is what works ....oh, and I learned that goats are always kids...so they all will come out to play if given a chance. I also learned the value of their trust.
Kari

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...