Sunday, October 19, 2014

it just takes a bit of sunshine


I traveled Friday, a day off, some things on my mind.  I found
myself sitting at a little auction in Independence, Wisconsin.
Maybe thirty chairs set up in tidy rows in the front yard of a home 
that would itself be auctioned off at 12:30.  Most of many years of
collecting packed in boxes, unloaded and sold one by one.  The
collector now living in a nursing home.  We gathered as this small
community, bidding on one after another lot.  On the surface, a very
solemn event...dispersing a lifetime of a home, carried off, collections 
divided many times.  My number 36 was raised, very select choices...
one of her cow creamers, several of her hen on a nest, two of her milk
bottles~~ one from Augusta meant to add to my own collection.  One
bid after another, I spent a morning as part of this group of bidders,
dispersing a lifetime.  But I know I will love the milk bottle I won -- as will
the person who eventually picks up the little cow creamer & takes her home.
Sure, this is all stuff....but stuff certain to hold stories & maybe a memory or two.

I will remember that chilly morning on October 17 ~~ sitting on a folding 
chair, raising my number, adding ever so selectively to my own story,
my own memories.

It only takes a bit of sunshine reflected just right to make a rainbow.  


As I carefully packed my treasures, folding them into my raincoat,
I knew I carried off with me pieces of someone's life.  Little shimmers,
little fragments of color, little stories.  

4 comments:

NanaDiana said...

This puts a huge lump in my throat. I can picture myself sitting there and watching these things being carried out and presented, sold and carried off. Bits and pieces of a person's life no longer a part of their past...but a part of someone else's future. Beautiful story! xo Diana

ps. I don't usually ask people to visit my blog but I have a prayer request up today that is urgent. I would appreciate the visit IF you have time. Thanks-

Primitive Stars said...

Bittersweet, love to have the treasure to enjoy but a little sad to know that someone else treasured it. Love the Ironstone, Blessings Francine,

Susie said...

You tugged at my heart when you said it was a piece of someone's life....thank you. I have been thinking of all the old neighbors I have lost through the years. My Mom's neighbors, my own. Our lives change daily Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Cheryl in Wisconsin said...

Thank you for putting so eloquently the emotions I feel when attending a personal auction or estate sale. I don't think any of us can resist taking this personally as well... what will become of OUR collections once we're not able to attend to them any more?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...