Wednesday, August 6, 2014

filling in

My favorite local nursery has now reduced hours and
diminished plant stock.  All the same, I recently was 
there on a mission to find some hardy fillers for my planters.

I start each spring with my beloved pansies & violas...which
tend to hang in there, but with certain disdain for hot days.  
They begin to straggle over the edges & yellow....blooming 
with their little faces all the while.  So I grab whatever 
annual looks like it will take my planters into fall.  Sedge is
my new favorite...a tall brown grass with curly tops.  Lettuce
in a deep burgundy will work...as will Asparagus Fern.



I dig them in around the yellow violas.  Smooshing in
some Thyme for good measure.  This vintage metal 
ice cream chair was missing a seat....an enamelware
pan (with several rusted holes for drainage) is perfect.

Tucked a bunny in with the plantings....why of course!

It does make me a tad sad when the summer plantings begin
to round the bend on their way to Autumn~~ but I do so
love that season, too!

How are your gardens?  Do you fill in too?



5 comments:

Amber ~ The French Pressed Home said...

I'm kinda sad that planting season is almost over too but am excited to get some dormant trees and lots of bare roots planted this Fall and Winter. Clearing things out was a huge job and with a clean slate, visualizing a pretty yard is a bit easier. I haven't planted any pots yet but have visions of a pretty porch lots of them. :)

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I love this idea, Kari! I like to fill in, too...especially with fall color spots, as much of the spring and early summer blooms are gone. I especially love to bring in orange zinnias and purple flowers. I need a trip to the nursery this week!

Primitive Stars said...

Hi Kari, love the wee bunny, yes, great buys but sad that Fall is coming soon.Blessings Francine.

Prims By The Water said...

I love bunnies..your flowers are wonderful and putting the enamel pan in your chair seat is a great idea. Janice

Cheryl in Wisconsin said...

I filled in this past weekend! My flower boxes on the front porch railing looked mighty sparse so I added some decorative kale and some stonecrop that was on closeout. And naturally some mums. So much better.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...