Sunday, June 8, 2014

vintage finds



Dave & I traveled out in the pouring rain Saturday...
several citywide thrift sales on our agenda.
Many garages were closed up, just too wet ~~
but on we journeyed.  After lunch at a cafe in Bloomer,
we traveled back toward home. Typically I assume that 
by noon on Saturday, thrift sales are often picked over...
but that didn't keep us from stopping at one last sale.
Bingo!....several pieces of Ironstone were waiting. 
The vintage finds I am keeping: Ironstone bowl & pitcher &
butter pats, glass door knob and stacking heart boxes. (pictured)
All for about $10.00.  

Now a little note I feel I should make...
We spent the day out, soaked shoes, car miles, time.
Of course we loved every minute, but if I was to turn around
& resell any of these items ~ this all adds in, just does.  
The pitcher would easily be found at an antique mall, 
auction or even flea market at a price of $28.00 or more.
If I sold it, you would find that price on it, which would be fair.

I love finding treasures on my antique travels, but know that when
I add in travel & time costs, my price basis goes up.  As an Antique
Dealer, I track my mileage - which is pretty significant each year. This 
is why I always honor antique dealers & their prices.  This is why
I often scratch my head when Dave & I work at the Hixton Mall
and have a customer bring up a $10.00 item and offer us $5.00 for it.
Dave responds appropriately, "Tell you what, we will take $10.55 with tax for it."

Yes, it is always wonderful to "score".....get that great deal. For instance, my
Ironstone will always remind me of the fun day Dave & I had on Saturday...
jumping puddles, going through 20 garages until we find one with more than 
just baby clothes.  And, I will always say with some pride how I paid only $3 for
the sweet pitcher....but I also know that if I had paid $35 in Stillwater for that
same pitcher, it would still be a great vintage find at an appropriate price, I would 
just tell a different story about my day at the antique mall, & my feet would be dry!





2 comments:

Primitive Stars said...

Bingo is right my friend, love the Ironstone, Blessings Francine.

June said...

Great post Kari! I never haggle, even at yard sales unless the person hasn't priced it and asks me what I would pay. If I don't like the price I just put the item back knowing that it wasn't meant to be :))) that time.
I have wanted to go to that Lilac Festival ever since Victoria magazine did a feature of it years and years ago. In fact that's when I decided that I would have more than just two or three bushes in my garden. That article was amazing and inspired me to plant some of the colors I chose for my own garden.
sending hugs...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...