Thursday, March 3, 2011

May the wind be always at your back...

When I was but a wee lass...
my family took a vacation in the Dakotas.
We stayed at a little motel in Deadwood...the Blarney Stone I believe.
And there on the wall was this Irish blessing:

May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
And, until we meet again,
May God hold you in the hollow of his hands.

As a young child, I fell in love with these words.
Perhaps, as my maiden name is "Wind", I thought it was
cool that we would have people's backs.
don't really know
Just loved it.



And so, this wee bit older lass loves that St. Patrick's Day
comes in the middle of March.
It feels like a celebration mixed with
blessings, faith, joy, & honor...with a sprinkle of hope.
just when we need this most

It reminds me of the benediction we would receive at the end of church...
as a child I always felt I should tip my head to receive it.
Granted, I grew up in the Presbyterian faith --
but Scotland is close
enough to Ireland...I do believe.

So, tip your head if you want...
and may the wind always be at your back.

For you, is it:
green beer, green eggs & ham or green blessings?
Do you celebrate this "holiday"?

3 comments:

Kari from Meadowview Farm said...

Have I ever shared how much I love the color green?
K

Artful Gathering said...

Hi there Kari, I was going to email you but I can't find a email address for you. Do you have any of the wire lampshade bases left that you had hanging from the rafters at your barn sale? I need one that is kind of squatty. Please let me know if you have one and maybe you can bring it to Hixton next time you work? My phone is 533-2788 or email is pine-ridge@triwest.net.
Thanks Kari, Dawn

Kari from Meadowview Farm said...

Hello Dawn...
Will check and get back to you;0)
Kari

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...